Godshawk's Head by Diego de la Guardia

A while back I did a post about Diego de la Guardia and the superb model of the Mortal Engines Engineerium which he made as part of his BA (Hons) Film and TV Production Design course at the University of Glamorgan.  Now he's turned his attention to Fever Crumb, and produced a design for Godshawk's Head, the giant, abandoned statue in which the first generation of Engineers make their home. I think it's an improvement on the version in the book in several ways.  For instance, Diego has the hot air balloon being constructed inside somewhere, and then floating out through an opening in the top, rather than taking off from the roof as I imagined. That's much better! Why didn't I think of that? I suppose because I'm not a set designer.

You can see the Head in all its considerable glory here on Diego's website, but I've swiped the image above and one of the technical drawings to give you a flavour of it. many thanks to Diego for letting them use them here - and wishing him a long and successful career!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy cow that's flippin' amazing!

Philip Reeve said...

It is, isn't it? : )

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

Now this would be even more awesome if it was an actual set design for an upcoming film / tv series!

Philip Reeve said...

Yes, if only! It also made me think that it would make a great stage set for a theatrical production. Not that that's any more likely to happen than a movie!

Post a Comment